Does the military help with moving services? This is a common question among service members and their families, as relocating can be both a frequent and challenging aspect of military life. This guide will provide an in-depth look into the various aspects of military moves, such as eligibility criteria, benefits offered and how to get started; types of moving services available for military families – from intra-state to international relocations – as well as specialty moves. These may involve moving unique items like pianos or antiques; and cost implications when planning a move, with tips on estimating costs and saving money.
Military Moving Services
Relocating can be a daunting task, especially for military families who often face frequent moves. Understanding the different types of military moving services available, who qualifies for them, and what benefits are offered, can make the process much smoother. In this section, we will discuss how to get started with a military move and explore government programs and non-profit organizations that can help with moving expenses.
What is a Military Move?
A military move, also known as a Permanent Change of Station (PCS), is an official relocation order issued by the Department of Defense (DoD), requiring service members and their families to relocate to a new duty station. These moves may occur within the United States or internationally depending on the assignment. The DoD provides various resources and support systems to assist service members during these transitions.
Who Qualifies for Military Moves?
All active-duty service members in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard as well as National Guard/Reserve personnel, on active-duty orders qualify for assistance with their PCS moves. Civilians employed by the DoD may be able to access relocation help in some cases as well.
What Benefits are Offered with a Military Move?
- Transportation: The government covers transportation costs associated with relocating household goods up to an authorized weight limit, based on rank and dependency status.
- Housing Allowance: Service members receive a Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) which helps offset housing costs at their new location.
- Temporary Lodging Expense: Reimbursement is provided for temporary lodging expenses incurred while waiting for permanent housing at your new duty station (TLE).
- Moving Assistance: The DoD offers various programs such as the Defense Personal Property Program (DP3), which provides access to approved moving companies and resources for planning a successful move.
- Relocation Counseling: Military installations offer relocation assistance programs that provide information, counseling, and support during the PCS process.
How to Get Started with a Military Move?
To begin your military move journey, follow these steps:
- Contact your current installation’s Relocation Assistance Program office for guidance on preparing for your upcoming move. They can help you navigate available resources and benefits specific to your situation.
- Create an account on the Defense Personal Property System (DPS) website. This platform will be used throughout the entire moving process, from scheduling transportation of household goods, to filing claims in case of damage or loss.
- Gather important documents such as orders, identification cards, passports (for international moves), medical records, etc., ensuring they are readily accessible during transit.
- Create a personal inventory list of all items being moved. This will not only help keep track of belongings but also serve as evidence if any items go missing or get damaged during transport.
In addition to the government-provided services and benefits mentioned above, there are numerous non-profit organizations dedicated to assisting military families with their moves. In our next section, we will explore various types of moving services available, including intra-state, inter-state, international and specialty moves.
Military moving services provide specialized assistance for those who qualify, making the relocation process smoother and less stressful. Moving companies offer a variety of services to help make your move easier, from intra-state moves to international ones, as well as specialty moves such as piano or antiques moving.
Types of Moving Services Available
When it comes to relocating, there are various types of moving services available to cater to your specific needs. Realizing the distinctions between each type of move and their requirements is key to a successful transition, regardless if you’re relocating within the same state, interstate, or overseas.
Intra-state moves involve relocating within the same state and typically cover shorter distances compared to inter-state moves. These moves usually require less time and resources since they don’t cross any borders or involve multiple jurisdictions. However, it’s still crucial to hire a reputable local moving company with experience in handling intra-state relocations for a hassle-free experience.
Crossing state lines for relocation is referred to as an inter-state move, which requires more preparation and organization due to the differences in regulations between states. This type of move requires more planning due to varying regulations between states regarding taxes, vehicle registration, insurance policies, etc., making it essential that you choose an experienced interstate mover. They can help guide you through these complexities while ensuring your belongings arrive safely at your new destination.
An international move involves relocating from one country to another, which can be quite complex due to different customs regulations and shipping procedures involved in transporting household goods overseas. Hiring an expert international moving company, like Star International Movers ensures that all necessary paperwork is completed correctly, while providing guidance on packing materials suitable for long-distance transportation.
Specialty Moves (e.g., piano, antiques, etc.)
Specialty moves involve relocating items that require extra care and attention due to their size, weight or value such as pianos, antiques or fine art. These types of moves often need specialized equipment and experienced movers who are trained in handling delicate objects safely during the relocation process. Star International Movers offers specialty moving services to ensure your valuable possessions are protected throughout the move.
No matter what type of move you’re planning for, it’s essential to research and choose a reputable moving company with experience in handling similar relocations. By understanding the different types of moving services available and their requirements, you can make an informed decision on which service best suits your needs.
The range of moving services available is comprehensive and can be tailored to meet any need, from the most basic local move to an international relocation. Costs are a key element when selecting the best service for your requirements, so it’s essential to comprehend all expenses related to relocation before settling on a choice.
Cost of Moving Services
When planning a relocation, it is critical to comprehend the different costs associated and how they can affect your total budget. In this section, we’ll cover ways to calculate the expense of your move, examine the different costs you may come across while relocating, and provide advice for reducing expenses during your transition.
Estimating the Cost of Your Move
To get an accurate estimate of your moving costs, consider factors such as distance traveled, weight or volume of belongings being moved, packing materials needed, labor charges (if hiring professional movers), insurance coverage options (if desired), and any additional services required like storage or specialty item handling.
You can start by requesting quotes from multiple moving companies, comparing their prices and services offered. Keep in mind that estimates may vary depending on whether they are based on weight or cubic feet measurements; be sure to clarify this with each company when comparing quotes.
Understanding the Different Costs Involved in a Move
- Packing Materials: These include boxes, bubble wrap, packing paper or peanuts for cushioning fragile items inside boxes – all necessary supplies that will protect your possessions during transit.
- Labor Charges: Professional movers typically charge hourly rates for loading/unloading trucks, as well as travel time between locations if applicable. These fees can add up quickly so it’s important to factor them into your budget early in the planning stages.
The cost of moving services can be an intimidating factor when considering a move, but there are additional resources and support available for military families that can help make the process smoother. Gaining insight into governmental plans and advantages, as well as non-profit agencies that provide aid for relocation, can help to diminish costs of your move while still making sure all your needs are fulfilled.
Additional Resources and Support for Military Families During a Move
Fortunately, there are numerous government programs and other resources that can assist military families with relocating.
Government Programs and Benefits Available to Help with Moving Costs
The DoD provides a range of schemes designed to help servicemembers with their relocation expenses, such as the Defense Personal Property Program (DP3) which offers access to authorized transporters for military moves, and the Military Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Travel Pay Program.
The Military Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Travel Pay Program reimburses eligible service members for certain travel-related expenses incurred during a PCS move, including lodging costs, mileage allowances for privately owned vehicles, per diem rates based on location-specific living costs, and dislocation allowance.
Non-Profit Organizations That Help with Moving Expenses
In addition to government-sponsored programs, numerous non-profit organizations offer support services specifically tailored towards assisting military families during their relocation process:
- Operation Homefront: This organization provides financial assistance grants as well as emergency housing solutions for active-duty servicemen/women facing unexpected financial challenges related to their move.
- National Military Family Association (NMFA): NMFA offers scholarships to military spouses pursuing higher education or professional certification, which can help offset the financial burden of a move.
- United Service Organizations (USO): The USO provides various resources and support services for military families during their relocation process, including assistance with job placement and career development opportunities in new locations.
Other Resources Available to Help With Your Move
Aside from financial assistance programs, there are several other tools and resources available that can make your moving experience more manageable:
- Online Tools: Websites like Plan My Move, provided by Military OneSource, offer interactive checklists, timelines, and personalized planning tools designed specifically for military moves.
- Moving Checklists: Utilizing comprehensive moving checklists such as those found on the official website of the United States Postal Service (USPS Moving Guide) can help you stay organized throughout your move.
- Social Media Groups: Joining social media groups specific to your new location or base community can provide valuable insights into local housing options, schools, amenities, and even connect you with other military families who have recently relocated to the area. Facebook is an excellent platform for finding these groups based on geographical regions or installation names.
Exploiting these resources can help reduce the monetary strain of relocating and provide useful assistance and advice during your move.
FAQs: Does the Military Help With Moving Services
Does the military help pay for moving expenses?
Yes, the military provides financial assistance to cover moving expenses for service members during a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) or Temporary Duty (TDY). This includes reimbursement for transportation, lodging, and per diem allowances. For more information on specific benefits and entitlements, visit the Defense Travel Management Office.
Does the military provide transportation?
The military does provide transportation services during a PCS move. Service members can choose between two options: A Personally Procured Move (PPM), where they arrange their own transport and are reimbursed based on weight moved; or Government-arranged Transportation, where professional movers handle everything.
Will the military move your belongings?
If you opt for Government-arranged Transportation during your PCS move, professional movers will pack, load, transport and unload your household goods at no cost to you. However, there may be limitations on what items can be shipped or stored depending on your destination and rank. Check with your local Military Transportation Office for details.
Does the military help spouses move?
Military spouses are eligible for relocation assistance when accompanying their service member spouse during a PCS move. The support includes financial assistance covering travel costs, as well as access to resources such as counseling services through Military OneSource’s Spouse Relocation and Transition Assistance.
Military moving services offer a range of benefits and support for those who qualify. Whether you’re moving intra-state, inter-state, or internationally, there are options available to help make your move as smooth and stress-free as possible. It’s essential to be aware of the various expenses related to a move and how to calculate them correctly in order to make an appropriate plan.
Additionally, there are government programs and non-profit organizations that offer assistance with moving expenses for military families. With these resources available, it’s easier than ever to get the help you need during this transitional time.
If you’re looking for reliable and experienced movers who specialize in military moves, consider working with Star International. Our team is dedicated to providing top-notch service at an affordable price. Reach out to us today for more information on our military moving services!